Working in Canada

Working in Canada

Technicians and technologists may achieve professional recognition through certification and registration by provincial associations in each of Canada's provinces. 

A wide variety of occupations fall under the classifications of technologist and technician in Canada. It is important for you to understand how your credentials and experience compare to workers in Canada. For example, internationally trained individuals may work as an engineer in their home country, but may find that their occupation is classified as a technician or technologist in Canada.

Canada has two official languages: English and French. Depending on where you decide to live, you might be required to work in English, French, or in both languages. Become familiar with the requirements for your occupation in the province where you want to work. Specific occupations and different provinces will have slightly different processes for certification. Provincial requirements for certification usually include a language assessment, evaluation of academic credentials and work experience and a professional practice examination.

Canadian quick facts

Canada has 10 provincial technology associations that offer certification. There is one technology professional association in each province.

Certification in Canada is transferable between provinces. Once certified, transferring your registration to a technology professional association in another province is a simple process. 

There are over 50,000 certified technology professionals in Canada. Certification is widely recognized and preferred by employers.


The engineering team in Canada

Engineering, like most other professions in Canada, is regulated by provincial law. The role of regulation is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public and to protect the environment. Some members of the engineering team must be licensed to practice their profession or trade, while others must have permission to use specific titles.  In Canada, members of the engineering team include: 





Resources for your career in Canada

Settlement Services

Settlement services

Settlement agencies in every province provide support to newcomers to Canada. They help you adjust to your new community and life in Canada.

Canadian Armed Forces

Military to civilian careers

Use your valued military training and experience to help you certify and register as an applied science or engineering technology technician or technologist.

engineering work

Engineers Canada

To evaluate the opportunities through Engineering Canada, you can assess the national website to continue your search and review.