Work experience in a technical occupation and non-formal education
If you have at least 5 years work experience in an applied science or engineering technology-related occupation but did not graduate from a post-secondary education program you may be eligible for certification based on your on-the-job training, self-directed learning and work experience.
The application process requires you to explain when, where and how you achieved the knowledge and skills for the 8 general competencies and for 5 discipline-specific competencies. As you complete the application, you will be guided through the recognition of prior learning process.
Experienced technology practitioner requirements checklist
- Complete the online eligibility section to determine the most appropriate certification level (technician or technologist).
- Prepare a curriculum vitae or resume that includes any education programs or courses you have completed, a list of on-the-job training and your employment history.
- The names and e-mail addresses of at least 3 people to provide technical references.
- Scan and upload in PDF format documents supporting your application.
- When you submit your application, you will be required to pay the application fee.
- Soon after submitting your application you will be requested to complete a professional practice and ethics online study module and exam.
- You may be requested to provide additional information and/or supporting documents.