Become a Technology Professional

CTIN now merged with Engineering Technology Canada

You have been redirected from CTIN to the new Engineering Technology Canada website. This expanded platform provides all the information previously found in the CTIN site combined with new tools to support your information needs on becoming a Technology Professional in Canada.


CTIN site

Working in Canada

Technicians and technologists may achieve professional recognition through certification and registration by provincial associations in each of Canada's provinces. 

A wide variety of occupations fall under the classifications of technologist and technician in Canada. It is important for you to understand how your credentials and experience compare to workers in Canada. For example, internationally trained individuals may work as an engineer in their home country, but may find that their occupation is classified as a technician or technologist in Canada.

Canada has two official languages: English and French. Depending on where you decide to live, you might be required to work in English, French, or in both languages. Become familiar with the requirements for your occupation in the province where you want to work. Specific occupations and different provinces will have slightly different processes for certification. Provincial requirements for certification usually include a language assessment, evaluation of academic credentials and work experience and a professional practice examination.

Canadian quick facts

Canada has 10 provincial technology associations that offer certification. There is one technology professional association in each province.

Certification in Canada is transferable between provinces. Once certified, transferring your registration to a technology professional association in another province is a simple process. 

There are over 50,000 certified technology professionals in Canada. Certification is widely recognized and preferred by employers.